Comic design is not something I’m overly familiar with. I’ve read several graphic novels/comics in the past few years—it wasn’t really in my wheelhouse prior to that—and I’ve discovered that information is conveyed in both image, text, and the physical layout of frames on the page. I decided to experiment with layout design as part of this inquiry.

The reason I want to explore comic design is to learn multimodal ways of expressing concepts and ideas. Rather than always having a linear handout, I think it’d be interesting to experiment with communicating instructions and ideas through a more personalized and dynamic mode of presentation. Even having a little doodle-of-the-day to start off class with a topic of discussion expressed in the form of digital art.

This will be difficult, as its completely outside of my comfort zone, but I believe in trying new things both personally and professionally, and challenging my capabilities as an artist and as an educator. It can only get better the more you try!